Crush Chorus

Rumours, Gossip & other discussions

Moderator: Team Jade

Crush Chorus

Postby Nekorin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:41 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAA-v64k04U

Listening to the song "Crush." It's pretty obvious the chorus is a reference to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICkWjdQuK7Q

I wouldn't call it a rip-off, because it's so blatant and the source so famous, that I'm pretty sure she expects us to know. But my question is, is it common to reference other songs in this manner? What was she trying to express with the association?
Nekorin
Classified Initiate

Re: Crush Chorus

Postby John » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:59 pm

I think that Jade did that because the song is supposed to sound silly & cute, so those lyrics fit the song appropriately. It's not that uncommon at all in pop music to reference other songs, so I wouldn't call it a rip-off.
May 25, 2014
Pause in Joy UNPLUGGED Live at the Hotel Café in Los Angeles
John
Team Jade

Postby Dreamquake » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 am

I reckon you might be onto something Nekorin! That's pretty crazily similar.
Dreamquake
After The Lights Initiate

Postby Nekorin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:51 am

John wrote:I think that Jade did that because the song is supposed to sound silly & cute, so those lyrics fit the song appropriately. It's not that uncommon at all in pop music to reference other songs, so I wouldn't call it a rip-off.

I'm pretty ignorant about pop music, but do you know of a similar case? I'm interested. :)

It's kind of ironic that the lyircs are so silly... The melody and the hook, "Whatcha doin to meeeee?!" make it sound like the singer is being overtaken by a dark, maddening obsession! Actually I love that quality of the song.

Dreamquake wrote:I reckon you might be onto something Nekorin! That's pretty crazily similar.

It's a really famous song, so I think she'd expect people to notice. I'm wondering why she wanted that particular association.
Nekorin
Classified Initiate

Postby John » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 am

I can't think of examples off the top of my head, but here are some similar examples:

Take It Off by Ke$ha samples the melody of the old famous song The Girls in France (which is actually named The Streets of Cairo, or the Poor Little Country Maid. Thanks Wikipedia!).

All Summer Long by Kid Rock is basically a tribute to Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd and samples that song heavily.

I wouldn't say that Crush samples Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, but rather that it references it. The difference for me is that Crush doesn't sample the melody or even its lyrics to a great extent. Sampling, in my opinion, takes a significant portion from another song while referencing takes bits & pieces.
May 25, 2014
Pause in Joy UNPLUGGED Live at the Hotel Café in Los Angeles
John
Team Jade

Return to Sweet Talk