Stupid question, but... (about Jade leaving Sweetbox)

Rumours, Gossip & other discussions

Moderator: Team Jade

Stupid question, but... (about Jade leaving Sweetbox)

Postby mechamerr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I know we'll never get an official answer, but has anyone been able to piece together why Jade decided to embark on a solo career?

I could understand her going solo so that she could work with other songwriting teams (that's what people usually do). But so far, it's been her and Geo the entire time, and their music isn't radically different from what it was during the Sweetbox era. They make an amazing team, and I hope they never split, but it does seem weird that all of Jade's solo music is essentially the same as it might've been if she'd stayed with the band.

Was it the label? I mean, Jade and Geo have worked with Avex again, so they couldn't have hated them that much (though I've always wondered whether there wasn't some animosity over how they let Ayumi Hamasaki release all her covers before Addicted came out) . Or did Universal actively recruit Jade?

It just seems weird that all the Sweetbox people, save for Heiko S., stuck with Jade. Guess that means they really love her. Was there some issue with Parasongs that made everyone leave?
mechamerr
Classified Initiate

Re: Stupid question, but... (about Jade leaving Sweetbox)

Postby Vhazza » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:59 pm

No one but those involved know the full story, nor should it really concern the fans on the background of why or what happened. It's not as if they just dropped off the face of the planet without warning. All fans really need to know is that Jade and Geo are still making music and that should be good enough.

Huggles
Vhari x
Personal Blog| YouTube | My Etsy Store
~This is where we go our separate ways. You go yours, and I'll go mine. And maybe one day, we'll meet again~
Vhazza
Team Jade

Postby John » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:32 pm

^Nah, not for me! :biglol: I feel that I can appreciate an artist even more if I understand their history. I'd love to hear the behind-the-scenes info someday (from ALL of Jade's career - not only from 2007) because then one can see why certain things happened in Jade's career & how/if those events affected her music. If I were a casual fan, I'd only care about the music. But as a serious fan & as a fan of Jade both as a person & an artist, I want to know the story.

As far as Jade & Geo leaving Sweetbox, I'd say that there were creative differences between them and Heiko Schmidt & therefore they parted ways as a team. I personally don't think that it's much more complicated than that. Heiko Schmidt claimed the Sweetbox name & so now he's still working with Sweetbox with Jamie. Jade & Geo decided to keep on making music together & so then Out Of The Box/Bittersweet Symphony were released.

But whatever happened, must have happened VERY fast & it must have been VERY serious since the whole split happened within a short few months in spring 2007. & it probably had nothing to do with the labels; Avex might not have signed Jade as a solo artist since technically Sweetbox was still signed to them, but then again it could have been for many other reasons, so then Jade's team probably made some offers & got signed by Universal.

& I don't think that Jade was mad that Ayumi Hamasaki released her versions first. Addicted wasn't going to be released until spring 2006 anyway so Ayumi just happened to release her album first. The only thing that Jade didn't like was the fact that some people mistakenly thought that she had covered Ayumi, but I don't think it was ever that big of a deal. It's not like any of Jade's versions were known to the public much, like if they had been singles.
May 25, 2014
Pause in Joy UNPLUGGED Live at the Hotel Café in Los Angeles
John
Team Jade

Postby padmelover » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Vhazza wrote:No one but those involved know the full story, nor should it really concern the fans on the background of why or what happened. It's not as if they just dropped off the face of the planet without warning. All fans really need to know is that Jade and Geo are still making music and that should be good enough.

Huggles
Vhari x

Yes and no. I do think we have a right to know at least if it was personal reasons or something. I don't think we have to have the entire story, but a word or two would be nice. I've always been interested in the choices artists make because only through that can you understand the music they write. If I didn't know what had happened with Lindsey Buckingham I would never fully understand or appreciate Stevie Nick's music. I don't know the whole story but I have a general idea.

I assume there was trouble over control or something. But I really have no clue. XD
Last edited by padmelover on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
padmelover
Adagio Initiate

Postby YUMI » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:58 pm

We don't need to know the whole story , I mean the detail.

But...I am sure there were some fights between Heiko S. and Geo. (That's what Japanese media said; some radio and magazine.) We never know what was wrong with them :?

The only thing we know is...Jade was going to release her songs in 2007 under "sweetbox". She was very excited to show us the sweetbox demo CD in her video message at sweetbox.com. (it was the end of 2006) But...Suddenly after the big decision in 2007, Jade tried to release an album as a solo artist, but she had to put off once. It seemed the trouble affected her new career sadly... :cry:

This is very personal perspective, but...I think Heiko S. is not a kind/nice person. Some years ago I sent him an e-mail to ask where to send a B-day gift to Jade. He gave me the address, but "no greeting". it was just the address and made me feel scared. I couldn't believe that was for the fan...Since then I always e-mail Heiko G. and he is always very kind with any questions. So I understand the other members of sweetbox team left with Jade & Geo. Although it's only a guess...

I just don't like those business problems always make the things difficult for artists. like TOHOSHINKI......
YUMI
Boyfriend Initiate

Postby TopCat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Well, I guess we have heard already enough about it to make a good guess what happened.
And it's not untypical that business-partners split up. I know enough people from my job who once were good friends and started a business together and then found out that they couldn't work with each other so well. This can happen sooner or later, but it happens more often than you would think.

I didn't even remember Jade to show her new demotape at some time before leaving SB. But that would truly suggest that the departure of Jade and GEO wasn't planned.

And Yumi, I'd say you're not the only one here who has doubts about Heiko S.
TopCat
Razorman Initiate

Postby padmelover » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:14 pm

TopCat wrote:And Yumi, I'd say you're not the only one here who has doubts about Heiko S.

I don't positively remember but someone on here I remember there being a radio interview with Jade and Geo that said that it was something like that. If I find it, I'll repost it. I don't remember if it was real or what, I think it was in Japanese.

But it was like the week after I joined that I saw it.

It's likely that's what it is. For some reason he's thank yous in the CD booklets always gave me an odd feeling. XD
padmelover
Adagio Initiate

Postby John » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 am

Like Yumi said, Jade & Geo were making the next Sweetbox album in late 2006/early 2007 & even in spring 2007 we got updates like the official site's 10 questions with Jade videos, the favorite song contest, & the staff diary updates from the Avex Sweetbox site. But then all of a sudden things changed; www.jadevalerie.com was registered in April 2007 & in the Crush interviews in May Jade said that she was going to release a solo album. So whatever happened, must have happened very fast & it must have been serious for such dramatic changes to occur in such a short time. By summer 2007, Out Of The Box was ready to be released & Heiko Schmidt was looking for a new Sweetbox singer.

As I've said before, it must have been a pretty bad split since Geo & Heiko Schmidt parted ways completely after working together since the early 90s. I don't think that a partnership for that long would have split so quickly unless there was a very serious disagreement between the two. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that the split was mainly between Geo & Heiko Schmidt (so not necessarily with Jade), so Jade naturally sided with Geo, & everyone working with Jade went along with her anyways.
May 25, 2014
Pause in Joy UNPLUGGED Live at the Hotel Café in Los Angeles
John
Team Jade

Postby YUMI » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 pm

John wrote:As I've said before, it must have been a pretty bad split since Geo & Heiko Schmidt parted ways completely after working together since the early 90s. I don't think that a partnership for that long would have split so quickly unless there was a very serious disagreement between the two. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that the split was mainly between Geo & Heiko Schmidt (so not necessarily with Jade), so Jade naturally sided with Geo, & everyone working with Jade went along with her anyways.

I agree 90% with you. (10% is for proof we don't have...)

The magazine only says...
"Two sweetbox producers had a split due to the serious problem in the adult world of business."
Because it took a bit long til Geo left official comment about leaving sweetbox, I feel the problem was REALLY bad :(

By the way, I have a long suspect that Heiko S. really had the audition. "3,000 auditionee" doesn't sound small competition, but I didn't hear/find anything about it. (I mean, around the time he was looking for a new singer.) Anyone know other singers auditioned? (No offense to Jamie, I was just curious when I heard her story.)
YUMI
Boyfriend Initiate

Return to Sweet Talk