Songs I Don't Understand

Rumours, Gossip & other discussions

Moderator: Team Jade

Postby Joshorty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah Anthony man I think you described the songs perfectly well! If not perfect, that was awesome :lol: Did you figure that out on your first run? For me, I had to come to messageboards to understand them :lol:

And Vazz I also love your song analysis. Especially Waterfall. See I never thought of that lol. I always have to come to places like here to get them.
Ichigo love wrote:
John wrote:I think Anthony explained it perfectly!

But for Girl From Tokyo, Jade specifically refers to a girl getting HIV. In my opinion, Jade references Tokyo & loneliness as a form of irony, because Tokyo is the largest metropolitan city in the world, yet this girl feels alone.

Yeah the three lettered raven part right?
I also find it ironic due to Japan's general STD phobia and their long held belief that it only foreigners have it (or 99.9999% foreigners anyway)

This is why I love the song so much. Like you guys said already - "O the irony"
Joshorty
You Don't Know Me Initiate

Re: Songs I Don't Understand

Postby PrincessaLola » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:38 pm

While i understand all too well the meaning and storyline behind "After the Lights", I've always wondered what inspired Jade to write such a song. It is probably at my top of fave Sweetbox songs. It has always confused me to understand. It would have been very interesting to see in video.
PrincessaLola
Boyfriend Initiate

Postby njanjayrp » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:03 pm

^ I guess it was either based on some kind of movie she saw or someone's personal experience.
ImageImageImage
njanjayrp
Team Jade

Postby samDavenga » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:54 am

Jade sees good movies/has awesome personal experiences then...er, I mean they're good inspiration for great songs! Haha, I don't think some of the situations are ...well all awesome. Ah, sensitive words... :gonk:

You guys ever wonder about MV/PVs also? Like how it connects with the song lol. Every time I watch Tina's EGBA, I always kinda wonder what the vid. is about. I mean I can grasp the connotation lol! But I like it when I can put words to it, which is why I ask Anthony for help when I'm confused haha. XD
samDavenga
13 Chapters Initiate

Postby John » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:59 am

A lot of the songs on the After The Lights album tell stories so they remind me of a lot of country songs. I know that Jade listens to country music so maybe she wanted to try writing songs like that. That's my guess. It is interesting that ATL is practically Jade's second favorite song after For The Lonely.
May 25, 2014
Pause in Joy UNPLUGGED Live at the Hotel Café in Los Angeles
John
Team Jade

Postby Jayme » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 am

After The Lights is one of my favorite Jade songs. I love stories in general that actually tell a story about someone else's life..kind of like she's the narrator. The song is so visual.
Jayme
Addicted Initiate

Postby njanjayrp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:02 am

Jayme wrote:After The Lights is one of my favorite Jade songs. I love stories in general that actually tell a story about someone else's life..kind of like she's the narrator. The song is so visual.

Indeed and so was Pretty in Pink <3 that song is kinda underrated though.
ImageImageImage
njanjayrp
Team Jade

Postby PrincessaLola » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:01 pm

Nem- I agree with you there! Both songs were under-rated! Both are two of my fave songs ever!
PrincessaLola
Boyfriend Initiate

Postby John » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:11 pm

There's also Piano In The Dark & Girl From Tokyo.
May 25, 2014
John
Team Jade

Postby njanjayrp » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:17 am

^ yeah. Well Piano In The Dark at least got some ATL Tour performances in Japan as far as I can recall.
ImageImageImage
njanjayrp
Team Jade

Postby padmelover » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Hehe, I could resist posting this here, since you were talking, albiet a while ago, about ATL. I used in my AP English class as an example of a modern ballad. My teacher loved it. I thought you like to hear that for some reason. :)

I always thought Chyna Girl was about an affair, too. A really really public one, because "everybody knows". Like a celebrity affair. The fragile thing didn't even go through my mind, although I noticed that Chyna was spelled differently then China. Now I feel a bit dense. :lol:
padmelover
Adagio Initiate

Postby Nekorin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 pm

“Girl From Tokyo”
Jade sings about a girl who contracts a STD from a guy that she had a one-night stand with, as that event scars and mars that girl’s life from that point on, as no one knows how she suffers because of it.

Really?! All this time I thought it was about a woman being seduced, and then sold into modern slavery... I guess that was a stretch. Girl From Tokyo is probably the # 1 Sweetbox song I wasn't sure about. I'm sorry to learn about Japan's STD phobia.
Nekorin
Classified Initiate

Postby John » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:21 am

I've always wondered this but always forgot to ask, but what is said at the beginning of This Christmas? Laura sang the line in the After The Lights Tour, but I can't make it out! The only thing that I can kinda make out is 'I know it is'.
May 25, 2014
John
Team Jade

Postby Vhazza » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:40 pm

I always thought it was 'If you don't name him, I know who he is' :s That's what I hear (but at the moment my hearing cloudy due to the dreaded lurgi :()

Huggles
Vhari x
Personal Blog| YouTube | My Etsy Store
~This is where we go our separate ways. You go yours, and I'll go mine. And maybe one day, we'll meet again~
Vhazza
Team Jade

Postby Nekorin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 am

I always thought the beginning of This Christmas was meant to be unintelligible?
Nekorin
Classified Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Sweet Talk