Songs I Don't Understand

Rumours, Gossip & other discussions

Moderator: Team Jade

Songs I Don't Understand

Postby Dreamquake » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:12 am

Thinking about a variety of Jade songs past and present, I realize I really don't know what she's singing about in some of them! Lemme list the songs I don't understand and if anyone knows or has an input into what the meaning would be, I'd be interested to find out!

Hate Without Frontiers
Chyna Girl
Graceland
Piano In The Dark
Waterfall
Girl From Tokyo
On The Radio (I vaguely get it, like, lonliness? Not sure though.)
Liberty (is it just about freedom/justice etc.?)
Human Sacrifice
Living By Numbers (is it that someone lives by surrounding themselves with people?)

Quite a list of songs, I have an inkling as to what some of them may be but further information or opinions would be good. Thanks!
Dreamquake
After The Lights Initiate

Postby Anthony Loves Jade! » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:55 am

Hey! These are just short and quick answers that I have come up with, but I do have longer explanations, but since it is so late and I am tired, I will just post these for now! I hope I can help you! Here is what I feel the songs that you mentioned mean, well, at least what they mean to me!

“Hate Without Frontiers”
Jade sings about all the ways she can release herself from her anger and her frustration, seemingly suicide, as with being reborn after death by the mention a phoenix. But, knowing what is being sung in the foreign language would be a big help, too, it helps set a definite mood, though. This song is very open to interpretation, since I feel that it is more of a creative song with an abstract meaning, definitely not concrete like most of Jade’s songs.

“Chyna Girl”
Jade sings about a girl, possibly herself, who is fragile like china, china being the porcelain, not the country, and how she no longer wants to be that person after realizing it for herself what has truly been happening.

“Graceland”
Jade sings about finding a place of serenity and piece of mind, a spiritual sanctuary if you will, free of the world’s chaos. Certainly not Elvis Presley’s home! Haha!

“Piano In The Dark”
Jade sings about a girl who has made a mistake that she has possibly been warned about by her father and has nothing left to live for but her regret and shame.

“Waterfall”
Jade sings about being like a guardian to someone she loves, almost to the point of being obsessive and possessive of this person.

“Girl From Tokyo”
Jade sings about a girl who contracts a STD from a guy that she had a one-night stand with, as that event scars and mars that girl’s life from that point on, as no one knows how she suffers because of it.

“On The Radio”
Jade sings about moving on after a breakup and getting passed all that has happened, even though she has been hurt and wasted so much time on the relationship.

“Liberty”
Jade sings about questioning the validity and worth of suicide, specifically about her friend Adriana who had committed suicide, and how it negatively affected everyone in her life, especially her mom, leaving these people to do the suffering. This song questions the act and motive of suicide and shows that even though it may not seem like you are hurting anyone but yourself, everyone that loves you is hurt the worst. Adriana was the song’s title before the final release, as seen and heard on “Raw Treasures Vol. #1,” so I am certain this girl named Adriana was very close to Jade’s heart.

“Human Sacrifice”
Jade sings about being pissed off and seeking revenge on the guy who wronged her, apparently with a bazooka with a bullet with his name written on it. Super-cool! I want to see Jade armed and dangerous!

“Living By Numbers”
Jade sings about a guy she loves so much, but her love is one-sided, and she desperately wants to be his one and only, his everything and to let him know this, but he does not open up to her and never gives her the chance to because he possibly jumps from girl-to-girl and the numbers are probably a metaphor for the amount of girls he has been with or the numbers represents their telephone numbers, as how he goes to one after another by calling them.
Anthony Loves Jade!
Trying To Be Me Initiate

Postby John » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:34 pm

I think Anthony explained it perfectly!

But for Girl From Tokyo, Jade specifically refers to a girl getting HIV. In my opinion, Jade references Tokyo & loneliness as a form of irony, because Tokyo is the largest metropolitan city in the world, yet this girl feels alone.
May 25, 2014
Pause in Joy UNPLUGGED Live at the Hotel Café in Los Angeles
John
Team Jade

Postby Ichigo love » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:00 pm

John wrote:I think Anthony explained it perfectly!

But for Girl From Tokyo, Jade specifically refers to a girl getting HIV. In my opinion, Jade references Tokyo & loneliness as a form of irony, because Tokyo is the largest metropolitan city in the world, yet this girl feels alone.

Yeah the three lettered raven part right?
I also find it ironic due to Japan's general STD phobia and their long held belief that it only foreigners have it (or 99.9999% foreigners anyway)
Ichigo love
13 Chapters Initiate

Postby Anthony Loves Jade! » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:35 pm

John wrote:I think Anthony explained it perfectly!

Thank you, John! Haha! I understand your view on “Girl From Tokyo,” as the reference to loneliness and Tokyo does make an ironic connection, that or the song is really about a girl from Tokyo, both have validity. It is very interesting finding out how people view each song differently or in the same ways you, yourself, do. I love understanding and feeling the meanings behind Jade's songs, as I imagine myself alongside her as she wrote them! I feel that if you take a closer look at songs like this, you come to see music in a different light, as it is more than written words and composed sounds; it is meaningful and beautiful art. I do not understand why some people think that music is such a frivolous thing, and turn it into most of the crap that is produced today. Bleh! I am so thankful for having Jade and her music to listen, understand, and feel with! Go Jade! Hehe!
Anthony Loves Jade!
Trying To Be Me Initiate

Postby samDavenga » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:35 am

What about Brown Haired Boy? Lol...

Hah, well I guess -- are Undone and We Can Run both about escaping I guess let's say reality and just like "letting it all fade to gray", ect. ect.
samDavenga
13 Chapters Initiate

Postby John » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:43 am

Brown Haired Boy is just a song about young/first love, no deep meaning there

As for We Can Run, Jade said that she wrote the song for a friend who was going through a hard time. The song is basically Jade reaching out & giving comfort & an escape to that friend.

I think Undone is about trying to find an escape, especially from guilt, using metaphors like the night & the city as methods of escaping.
May 25, 2014
John
Team Jade

Postby samDavenga » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:10 am

Hah -- I was just kidding about Brown Haired Boy, but thanks anyways. =]

Ah okay. We Can Run and Undone had the same person guest co-write for the songs right? "Hase"? I'm thinking what you said about We Can Run, John applies to both songs maybe.

But yeah I gotcha.
samDavenga
13 Chapters Initiate

Postby John » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:13 am

Hahaha (about BHB)

As for the other songs, Shoko Hase only co-write WCR, not Undone.
May 25, 2014
John
Team Jade

Postby Dreamquake » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:19 am

Thanks so much everyone! This is really helpful, the story behind Girl from Tokyo is certainly not what I was expecting! Chyna Girl is still a bit random, as some of the lyrics just make no sense to me and I can't fit them to the meaning you gave them. I like your view on Waterfall too Anthony, I find that song quite mysterious and it's nice to have an idea of what it might be about. Thanks for the help everyone, I thought Brown Haired Boy was a very nice song, very 'summer lovin'-esque. Liberty has a sad meaning, but I understand (especially after re-visiting the lyrics).

Thanks!
Dreamquake
After The Lights Initiate

Postby samDavenga » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:36 am

John wrote:Hahaha (about BHB)

As for the other songs, Shoko Hase only co-write WCR, not Undone.

Ohh. Wikipedia LIES!

Not that it was the first time...lol.

Thanks. And I love BHB, that was the first song I heard from Jade after discovering her through FFX-2. Either that or I Miss You.
samDavenga
13 Chapters Initiate

Postby Vhazza » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Songs are open to interpretation and sometimes completely different meanings can be taken than what i actually meant (yes, I've still got a 3/4 finished essay relating Million Miles to Nursing) so here's my take on a some of them:

Chyna Girl
I always kinda saw this as like the secret affair that was discovered and that now it's been discovered, they have to face the consequences

Graceland
Life's getting on top of you and you just want to run to that someone that can comfort you. 'Did I fade to gray' could mean becoming just another face in the crowd.

Piano In The Dark
I always thought this was almost like the pushy parent in parts (daddy always said...) I also wonder if there is a hint of suggestion of abuse...

Waterfall:
The obsessive. A waterfall being used a metaphor for the constant obsessiveness that they experience.

Girl From Tokyo
As people have already said, it's a girl who goes out for a good time, has a one night stand with a guy who in the end gives her HIV and basically how her live will now be controlled by this

On The Radio
As has been said, it realising that the relationship the person was in wasn't all that she thought. I'm also getting the feeling of referring to the old radios that were used (and some are till used) for communication purposes

Human Sacrifice
The man is making her sacrifice everything including her freedom and doesn't care about her feelings. Having been freed from that, she's going to make him feel the exact same way (always loved the classical piece used in that song)

Living By Numbers
Wanting to be the one and only. But the guy doesn't want to commit to anything. Numbers could refer to the number of girls he has (you'd don't need another two) or could be in reference to the use of technology (0 and 1)

Huggles
Vhari x
Personal Blog| YouTube | My Etsy Store
~This is where we go our separate ways. You go yours, and I'll go mine. And maybe one day, we'll meet again~
Vhazza
Team Jade

Postby Ichigo love » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:23 pm

One song I always though was up for interpretation was Mr Pay Me. It always sounded like besides the obvious meaning it could be about a messy break up with the record company.
Ichigo love
13 Chapters Initiate

Postby Taotrac » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:18 am

Piano in the dark....its a bout a woman, who's father whats a piano player and drank and played his sorrows away on the piano, and both habits rubbed off on her,(presumably, he seemed to give the girl advice while he was drunk and couldn't think clearly) and Jade is singing about how the girl needs to find her way out of her dad's habits.

Althought the song sounds really spooky at first and had that "Daddy always said..." thing going on, I kinda like to think that her dad was a good guy, just maybe his wife left him, and he just drank and played piano alot, and his daughter probably learned piano from him, and took after all the 'advice' he gave.

All in all though, After The Lights is my fav albulm, has pretty complex stories and great lyrics but....where in the world does Jade come up with this stuff??? It doesn't really seem like any of it pertains to her....but it shows she has a creative mind i guess.
Taotrac
Here On My Own Initiate

Postby Anthony Loves Jade! » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 am

Here is what I feel!

“Mr. Pay Me”
Jade sings about a girl or herself, in regards of being used and hurt in a terribly abusive relationship she was once in. I hope that this did not happen to Jade herself, as it does sound like a horrendous relationship. It makes me think of relationships in which women are in such an abusive relationship, that they do not realize it or refuse to accept how bad it is, and they stay in that relationship because of fear or stupidity. This girl in the song, or Jade, was made to feel like she was the evil person and everything bad and wrong that happened was all her fault, in truth, was not the reality. She was constantly lied to and her wellbeing and self-worth came from that man, as she had no self-esteem or self-appreciation for herself. Because of what happened to her, she has changed in such a drastic manner, given by how the song ends with her awareness of the abuse, as she hopes that all of the pain (mental, emotional, and perhaps physical) she suffered through would be brought down upon the man who hurt her. Although it is wrong to wish bad onto others, in these situations, I hope these bastards get their just deserts served to them on silver platters. Haha!
Anthony Loves Jade!
Trying To Be Me Initiate

Next

Return to Sweet Talk